Monday, March 15, 2010

Cheerful Leaders Conquer Circumstances

Proverbs 15:15 (NIV) All the days of the oppressed are wretched, but the cheerful (merry, glad) heart has a continual feast.

It’s not the circumstance where you find yourself: it’s how you respond and that response begins with an understanding of who you are.

Understanding our purpose has powerful implications. Anxiety drains us. Allowing circumstances to shape our view of the future is not only unbiblical, it is damages our ability to live and lead. I know. I’ve been there. Circumstances crowded me. In that confined space, it was about me – not about my purpose in life – it was just about me and my “wretched” conditions. No cheerful heart there.

Recently studying the life of the Jewish patriarch, Joseph, has reminded me of the strength of a cheerful heart that is pure with a clear comprehension of purpose. If anyone had an excuse to be shaped by circumstances, it was he. He endured his brothers’ jealous behaviors and the false accusation of a lustful woman: he was imprisoned and forgotten for several years, and when released to interpret Pharaoh’s dream, he instantly deflected the ruler’s flattery and, in humility recognized the source of his abilities was outside of himself – it was not about him, but about the God.

The source of that instinctive humility? It was from a heart fixed on purpose and filled with joy. A leader, who serves others with humility and resoluteness of will, will do it in prison or in the palace. It does not matter.


How are you responding to your circumstances?


Copyright ©2010 by P. Griffith Lindell

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I try and respond with remembering God's purpose for me, as you suggested. It's very hard, though, because in those moments the emotions and details of the situation can be so burdensome that it's difficult to rise above it and see where God is leading. This is usually where my wife, some close Godly men, Scripture meditation, and prayer come in particularly useful. They remind me of God's overall plan of redemption and reconciliation, allowing me to see beyond me, and fix my eyes back on Him.

Great post, Griff!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful insight to the human nature bent by the hand of God. I would like to think I respond well to my circumstances, in the manner that God bent my personality. As I get older and grow in the Lord I realize my response in my circumstances should be driven from the purpose in life God has given me, not from a self centered "its all about me" attitude. I do not always pull that off, but I try to. I realize it is not always those around me that are to blame for my circumstances so I should not take out my frustration on them. And frustration really comes from a lack of faith or hope in God to take me through every circumstance.


Blessings Griff