Friday, October 15, 2010

Leadership Standing

Proverbs 15:25 (MSG) God smashes the pretensions of the arrogant; he stands with those who have no standing.

Because of my recent involvement with The Truth Project, I have had many interesting conversations with people about “the Christian worldview” and its impact on how one views leading. We have talked about many kind of leaders – some good, some bad (gangs have leaders!) some packaged (all wrapped up in themselves that they have to be “handled). Some authentic. All are on the point. Exposed. Leading.

Leaders are out in front – in more ways than one. Being in that position often brings “standing” and “standing” has a way of deluding us. We (at least, I know I do) like the adulation that comes from being in front – it’s fun. Provides energy. Generates ideas. Inspires. Deludes. Delusions (of any kind) have their source in “the lie” and therein is the fuel for a cosmic battle. Do we as leaders depend on our own power, strength, intellect, charm and ability to motivate or do we depend on the Creator who wired us with a set of skills and abilities that attract followers.

I am becoming convinced that leadership that matters (eternally – and isn’t that the only that really matters?) finds it roots in humility – the recognition that others are more important than we. That any standing we have comes because God has given us a platform that is to be used for His glory, not ours.

What are you standing upon?


Copyright ©2010 by P. Griffith Lindell

2 comments:

Dave C said...

I'm standing on the foundation of Christ the Living Word of God. I have not always done so in my Christian walk but am finding over the years that without that foundation under me (i.e. following the precepts in the Word) my efforts to lead others have really been about me and not those I lead.

Experience has taught me that by switching that focus makes me a better leader and the end result much more pleasant and successful journey.

Anonymous said...

Amen ! this is right on .. Thanks.