Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Leaders Listen - Actively

Proverbs 18: 2 (AMP)   A [self-confident] fool has no delight in understanding but only in revealing his personal opinions and himself.

  • (MSG) Fools care nothing for thoughtful discourse; all they do is run off at the mouth.

  • Eccl. 10:3 (NASB) Even when the fool walks along the road, his sense is lacking and he demonstrates to everyone that he is a fool.

When you read this verse, did you do as I? I put it into the "them" category: this was not for “me.”  Upon reflection, however, I began to realize that there are times that this belongs in the "me" category.  I realized that there are times when it’s all about me, and not all about learning – you know those times:  when we want to be right, or respected, or show-off what we know.  Instead of being open-minded, we dig into our heart (which remember is "desperately wicked") and spout off what comes out - not a very humble approach!

There are other times, of course, when I engage in thoughtful discourse by asking questions, listening, responding and learning. There is power in asking clarifying questions before giving advice – a process of collaboration that mitigates spouting advice based on personal opinion.  There is power in a mentor who, through a process of questioning often in casual conversation, reveals with clarity some of the spiritual components of a business issue. Mentors, advisors, peers who are wise, will often revel a lack of understanding of what Scripture might say about business issues.

Today, the more I read, the more I realize that I know very little about God's wisdom as applied to business. Of course, if you had asked me a year ago, I would have said that I knew something about that. This discipline of daily thinking about business applications of verses from Proverbs has shown me how foolish I have been. I also have confidence in my business knowledge and sometimes I become "self-confident" in that knowledge - how foolish. I must learn to take that business knowledge I have and run it through Heavenly Wisdom (understanding) so I screen out those things that do not honor God. This is not some Excel spreadsheet I can run data through (although I love doing that). This process of taking delight in understanding is more about reading, praying and meditating on His word. (And that I find much harder to do - and this tells me that a spiritual battle is raging. I just arm myself against the Liar who would want to deceive me into thinking that my intellect, my experience and my general knowledge are enough. Lie. All lies.)  

We are called to delight in God's Word. "Happy and secure is the person whose delight is in the what God teaches in His word; therefore, he meditates day and night on what is taught there." (Lindell paraphrase of Psalm 1:1,2)

Are you listening? Are you delighting in what God says? Do you thirst after righteousness? Positive responses prevent prideful self-confidence.

Copyright © 2006 by P. Griffith Lindell

No comments: