Friday, April 14, 2006

Managing Change

Proverbs 14: 14 (NKJV)  The backslider in heart will be filled with his own ways, but a good man will be satisfied from above.
  • (AMP)  The backslider in heart [from God and from fearing God] shall be filled with [the fruit of] his own ways, and a good man shall be satisfied with [the fruit of] his ways [with the holy thoughts and actions which his heart prompts and in which he delights].

  • Psalm 111:2 (NIV) The works of the LORD are great, studied by all who have pleasure in them.

  • Psalm 40:4 (NIV) Blessed are you who give yourselves over to GOD, turn your backs on the world's "sure thing," ignore what the world worships;

  • Psalm 112:7 (NIV)  They [people who fear the Lord] do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them.  

  • Gal 5:13 (MSG) It is absolutely clear that God has called you to a free life. Just make sure that you don't use this freedom as an excuse to do whatever you want to do and destroy your freedom. Rather, use your freedom to serve one another in love; that's how freedom grows.

How do you handle change? Filled with your own ways of handling the stress of change. Or filled with God's way?

I know that my first reaction to significant change is an emotional one. Why did that employee have to move on? Why did that client want that? Why did those potential equity partners dry up? Change happens. There are many kinds of changes and my reaction to them reflects where I am spiritually.

So, how did I get onto "change" from this verse?  It was the phrase "satisfied from above" and I began to think about times when I was not.  And I realized that those times were when I was in the midst of change and, wallowing in my emotional reaction, I sometimes did not look for my satisfaction "from above." I began a process of managing the changes - either trying to change the change or adapt to the change - on my own strength.

When I am responding to change counting solely on myself, that dependence on my own ability, my strength, my wits, I have fallen into idolatry. That mental lapse filling one's heart with "his own ways" drives that person to practical atheism. "I am the captain of my ship, the master of my fate."

The result of that thinking is always disastrous. Sometimes it is not quickly evident, but the end is assured.

However, if my response to change is satisfaction that can only come from "holy thoughts and actions" that is evidence of finding pleasure not in my ways or my thoughts, but in God ways and pursuing God's thoughts. Evidence that I have added to my study of management and leadership principles, Biblical principles. Sorting out what the "world worships" from principles that have a spiritual foundation. And this takes discipline.

Backsliding is that practice of ignoring the study of what God says and depending on what the world says - and what "I" say.

Interesting juxtaposition here: by God's grace, I am free of the law and free to be me - but in a new way. I slide backwards, when that "free to be me" becomes all about me, and not about Him. Freedom for believers is not about a set of rules to be followed. It is about a principle:  "love the Lord your God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself." Not some of your heart. All.

So, when change happens, with what is your heart filled? Where is your satisfaction?

Copyright © 2006 by P. Griffith Lindell     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Freedom is key to living as loved