Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Interdependence

Proverbs 9:6 (NIV) Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of understanding.
Other translations lend more insight:
  • "Leave your impoverished confusion;"

  • "Forsake the foolish and simpleminded;"

  • "Leave your foolish ways behind;" and,

  • "Forsake the foolish" are from various other translations.

"Simple ways" is pregnant with meaning. This passage in Proverbs is at the end of a description of Wisdom's feast: "Lady Wisdom has built and furnished her home; it's supported by seven hewn timbers. The banquet meal is ready to be served: lamb roasted, wine poured out, table set with silver and flowers. Having dismissed her serving maids, Lady Wisdom goes to town, stands in a prominent place, and invites everyone within sound of her voice: "Are you confused about life, don't know what's going on? Come with me, oh come, have dinner with me! I've prepared a wonderful spread--fresh-baked bread, roast lamb, carefully selected wines." (MSG)

As I was reading, the metaphor used struck me: God has done it all - even the getting of Wisdom. Of course, I knew that, but today the picture took on new color, new meaning. I don't have to slaughter the meat, cook it. I don't even have to set the table. I just have to come to dinner and feast.

"Sounds too simple. There's got to be stuff I need to do to get the wisdom I need to be a better leader."

We do it for salvation. "But for running my business? The Bible is not a business book," some might ask. Business school certainly gives you the tools needed to analyze, evaluate, and build organizational process: but it does not give Wisdom or Understanding. Without the latter, our ways are simple or foolish - tell that to a Harvard MBA!

Whether it's Business School or the school of life, any learning that leaves out God, is foolish. And what do we discover if we "walk in the way of understanding?" We can find among other things combining the learning from B-Schools and the God's Wisdom is a powerful combination. I know that many of the business decisions are not right from wrong; rather, it is which ethically right path should be followed - and that takes Wisdom. For we cannot see down the path:  following God's lead is a walk of Faith and not sight. And I think we make "walking by faith" harder than it needs to be: we try to prepare the meal, or at least set the table.

Walking by faith is a walk of wisdom, a way of understanding that begins with "knowing God" which results from feasting at the table of His Word, praying, and having a transparent relationship with Godly people.

Copyright (c) 2006 by P. Griffith Lindell

No comments: