Thursday, August 31, 2006

Day 30 Contentment and Leadership

Proverbs 30:7-9 (NIV) "Two things I (Agur) ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

1 Timothy 6:6 (KJV) But godliness with contentment is great gain.

It was the first century Roman philosopher, Seneca, who observed, "Poor is not the person who has too little, but the person who craves more." Today, woven throughout modern secular literature on leadership is the same thread of the importance of character in leadership - especially the literature on servant-leadership. The contented leader is a concept that addresses personal core values and has nothing to say about achieving profitable market share. The later drives a business: the former drives how the leader leads the people who "do the business." Agur's prayer - like the Lord's Prayer - recognizes the truth that living is to be a daily experience. "God is great, God is good, and we thank Him for our______." How are you filling in the blank?

Copyright ©2006 by P. Griffith Lindell

No comments: