Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Leaders Listen and Learn

Proverbs 13:10 (MSG) Arrogant know-it-alls stir up discord, but wise men and women listen to each other's counsel.

In an discussion about misplaced arrogance in leaders, the Center for Creative Leadership recently reminded its audience, "The leading reason managers [leaders] with impressive track records and high potential get knocked off the career track is their inability or unwillingness to change." These people, caught-up in their own hubris, lead with the arrogance of "it's my way of the highway." As Jim Collins, author of Good to Great discovered, successful leaders are not only humble, but also have learned to collaborate - listen to the advice of others. Arrogance says, "My past has taught me all I need." Humility says, "I am ever learning, and I need you to teach me." Which kind of leader are you?

Copyright ©2006 by P. Griffith Lindell

No comments: