Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Leaders Value Others

Proverbs 6:16 - 17a (AMP) 16These six things the Lord hates, indeed, seven are an abomination to Him:  [#1] A proud look [the spirit that makes one overestimate himself and underestimate others]

Phil 2:3 (AMP) Do nothing {don’t even think about it – Griff} from factional motives [through contentiousness, strife, selfishness, or for unworthy ends] or prompted by conceit and empty arrogance. Instead, in the true spirit of humility (lowliness of mind) let each regard the others as better than and superior to himself [thinking more highly of one another than you do of yourselves].

Bill George, in his book, Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value, proclaims:  “… that leadership begins and ends with authenticity…(it’s) being the person you were created to be.” He then points out that truly understanding self takes some risk and humility – learning to be open to others. He admits, “For years I felt I had to be perfect …I tried to hide my weaknesses from others, fearing they would reject me if they knew who I really was. Eventually, I realized that they could see my weaknesses more clearly than I could. In attempting to cover things up, I was only fooling myself.” He learned that pride (haughtiness) prohibits potential leadership power from being realized. Leading from humility is indeed rare, but very powerful. “As a person thinks in his heart so is he.” God judges the heart - the thoughts. What are you thinking about?

Copyright ©2006 by P. Griffith Lindell

No comments: