Thursday, December 14, 2006

Lead From Confidence - Not Cockiness

Proverbs 14:14 (AMP) The backslider in heart [from God and from fearing God] shall be filled with [the fruit of] his own ways, and a good man shall be satisfied with [the fruit of] his ways [with the holy thoughts and actions which his heart prompts and in which he delights].

Backsliding is that practice of ignoring the study of what God says and depending on what the world says. It leads to the myth of the “I” where confidence is ruled by cockiness.

Interesting juxtaposition here: by God's grace, I am free of the law and free to be me - but in a new way: a way that acknowledges that God is All and in all – this is authentic confidence. I slide backwards, when that "free to be me" becomes all about me, and not about Him.

Freedom for believers is not about a set of rules to be followed. It is about a principle: "love the Lord your God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself." Not some of your heart. All.

So, when life happens, with what is your heart filled? Where is your satisfaction?

Copyright © 2006 by P. Griffith Lindell

No comments: