Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Leaders Practice Self-control

Proverbs 25:28 (NLT) A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls.

A common characteristic of failed leadership is a lack of self-control - a lack manifested in many ways: but most important among them is the blame game.

Taking full responsibility for our actions, learning from mistakes and using what you have been given to its full advantage are “walls” that will protect the leader.

Learn self-control by:
Curbing curiosity – everything is permitted, but not beneficial – explore carefully also evaluating impact

Checking pride and vanity – it’s not about you – it is always about them (customers, staff, whomever!)

Containing anger and revenge – these drain and don’t draw others to you

Confining personal ambition – When yours is palatable, it pushes people away – they will not follow.

Emptying yourself of destructive curiosity, vanity, revenge and ambition creates a void that is crying out to be filled: fill it with the God who created you. He will build strong walls to protect you granting peace and safety to you who have learned to control themselves and give control to their Creator.

Which of those four “Cs” do you need to work on?



Copyright © 2009 by P. Griffith Lindell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curbing Curiosity is a good one for me to work on. I think I'm doing okay with confining my ambition (that was a bigger problem when I was younger) and also controlling my temper (most of the time). I have to work on the pride thing but believe I'm self aware and I'm very customer / employee focused. But I can let curiosity to know things (which I suppose is feeding my pride in being well educated :) use up time that needs to be focused. Controlling my use of time is my biggest challenge and running off on 'tangents' just because they are interesting is not always the best. I find it interesting that even in things that are inherently good (like nothing is really wrong about reading history), Satan can work his way in and trip you up. You need to be focused on what God wants - and that may or may not be what the current distraction is.

P. Griffith "Griff" Lindell said...

Great feedback - took curiosity to a new level for me for I had not thought about the impact on use of time - I was thinking only of focus - Thanks for the feedback