Thursday, December 03, 2009

SERVANT-leadership: Control Yourself

CONTROL SELF: Integration (body/mind/spirit congruence); Proficiencies (acquiring skills needed); Behaviors (capitalizing, moderating and supplementing behavioral patterns).


Proverbs 4:4b "Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live.

Solomon, writing as a father, recalls what his father taught him. It is the same instruction that our Heavenly Father taught back in the Garden. The corollary to, “If you eat (of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil) you shall die” is if you obey, you will live.

Ancient advice. Repeated over and over again by wise people. CONTROL YOURSELF! The decision is yours. Always yours. Despite peer pressures, or the childhood trauma. Regardless of the missing nutrition/education/medical care, the decision remains a personal choice. Humans must always make a choice to “lay hold…and keep” those commands that are meant to help shape our character and allow us to live, not only a productive live here on earth, but an eternal life in fellowship with our Creator. If the catechism still rings true, “the chief end of man is to glorify God (by keeping his commands) and enjoy him forever (the promise of obedience),” then learning discipline is critical to not only leading, but also following.

This, the second phase, of leadership development, while having its genesis in Scripture, is being symbolized by me with Aristotle – the great thinker and teacher who taught: “What it lies in your power to do, it lies in your power to not do.”

In a society, which accepts “blaming,” as a reasonable standard of explanation for behavior, effective leadership does not. The leader, in touch the on-going process of knowing self, this leader, if they want to be effective, to inspire, motivate and ultimately serve, must also learn to control self. This is the “walk the talk” phase - the hardest phase of leadership development by far.

Leaders must have an open heart. Take advice. Be open to change. Receive constructive criticism. Learn from results – all results. Above all, do right – not some wishy-washy, feel good, in-the-moment right, but right behavior that finds its source in our Creator, Redeemer and Friend, Christ Jesus, who said,
“If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.” (John 14:23-24)

Can’t be much clearer than that.

Control Yourself: Got a handle on that?


Copyright ©2009 by P. Griffith Lindell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Griff,

Peace. Knowing that you are going to get through the trials of life is not the same as having to go through them. Peace during those times is a very fickle friend. In sense you KNOW it will be fine because God has given you that peace. His Spirit comforts us during those times or how else could we get through it. Knowing you will not be tested more than you can bear. Fellowshipping with Him through it all. Trusting in Him and understanding His great love for you is without measure is what gets you through those times. But it does not excite us so much that we look forward to going through those times. It is more difficult when we go through it with others, when we bear their burden with them or for them.


Griff, could it possibly be that as a Christian businessman when I grieve over my client's situation and follow the laws and rules to get what is best for them I do that in large part as my job but in a very small part as my ministry to honor God by doing things right and by serving my fellow man by doing my best. So when I die daily by serviing my client's needs I please God by doing it the right way. By treating them the way I would want to be treated and by making the situation the best I can make it.


Then when things do not go in a way that we hope for I have to be strong for them, knowing the trials of this life are due the curse and the usurper who only wants to take away our Peace.


I really do not have time to do justice to a good response so hopefully this is worthy enough.

Dave